Monday, June 4, 2012

Reaction to "Creating a New Culture of Teaching and Learning" by Alan November

After reading the article by Alan November, a well-known leader in education technology, my first reaction was to the section, "If It's on the Internet, is it true?" This passage talked about the fact that many kids will believe just about anything if it's on the internet, regardless of the integrity of the site.  Even worse, if it's not on the internet, many kids believe the fact, or concept, or whatever they are learning doesn't exist! This concerns me for many reasons.  There is a total lack of responsibility and accountability for what goes on the internet.  Anyone can post anything, a prime example being myself right now.  The problem with the internet is there is no face behind the text, no reason to hold yourself liable for your opinion or viewpoint.  We need to teach students what is an appropriate source of information and what is not, and there is fine line between the two.  Critical thinking is required to understand how to discriminate between true and false information on the web. We are intuitively trained that if we read something it is true. This is not the case.  I agreed with Alan's plan to teach children this by constructing their own websites.  Not only is that a valuable and marketable skill to have this day and age, but it will drive the point home that anyone has the ability to write anything they want with relatively few consequences.

My second reaction to this article was to the section about having live videocameras in every classroom.  While this would definitely facilitate communication between parents and students and build relationships that unify teachers, I also think that this would greatly improve classroom management.  For one thing, if a student knows they are being filmed, the chances that they will behave accordingly are increased.  Inherently, if we know someone is watching us, we are less likely to act out or do something inappropriate.  This system also brings the parents on board and shows them EXACTLY how their child behaves in class.  So next time their son or daughter needs to be disciplined, there is visual evidence of what they have done to deserve a certain punishment or a reward more positively!  I am not a parent myself, but I know many parents that think their children can do no wrong.  They want to think the best and shift the blame.  Unfortunately, that is not always the truth of the matter and this can help them help their kids.

2 comments:

  1. I agree about the video probably improving and keeping the student behavior in check. I still need to warm up to that idea. Although at Bulkeley I don't think I'll have the means to vidcast my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea of having videocameras in classrooms makes me nervous! I agree that it would facilitate communication and improve classroom management. But, what would that mean in terms of parents e-mailing their children's teachers with negative feedback? One would hope that parents would want to send in their positive feedback as well - but, generally it doesn't work that way. I agree too though that parents certainly believe their children can do no wrong. This would be a great way to show them that this is not true.

    ReplyDelete